Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Kaayi SukrunDe

Kaayi Sukrunde is one of my all time favorite sweets. It is basically made for thithi/shraaddha in our community. It is coincidental that I am putting this in pitru paksha. VaDe, Paayasa and Sukrunde is standard in every shraadha. Hence my mom never made it at home as regular sweet. Recently got to know that people make it as devi prasada too. I have to check if this is the case in our community too. 


Anyways, this particular recipe I found online(link given below) was spot on. My mom also gave me certain tips, which I will update later, or probably make a different post. Sukrundes stayed crunchy even after few hours. 





Ingredients

Urad dal - 1/4 cup

Rice flour - 2 heaped tsp

Turmeric

Salt  - pinch(optional)


Jaggery 

Coconut

Roasted sesame. 

Cardamom powder 


Oil for frying


Method

Wash and soak urad dal for atleast 2 hrs. Grind to a smooth batter with very less water. Add salt, turmeric and rice flour and mix well. Add little water if necessary to bring it to pakoda (dipping) batter consistency. 


In a pan add jaggery and little water. Let it melt, add coconut. Sauté till they come together to be able to roll into balls. Add roasted sesame seeds. Mix well. Off the stove and add cardamom powder. Let it cool(Note that mixture hardens as it cools down). Make small - medium size balls out of this. Dip it in the batter and fry in hot oil.  


This stays crispy for a very long time. 


What I did 

I had thick batter of urad dal ground for vada. I took about 2-3 heaped tbsp of thick urad dal batter, added about a heaped tbsp of rice flour + turmeric and added enough water to bring it to coat-able consistency(like pakoda batter). 

For hoorna I used 2 cubes of jaggery and required amount of coconut(around 1/2 to 3/4 cup) - this was enough for 10-12 sukrundes. 


Recipe Source - “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlP31_nUFpc



No comments:

Post a Comment