Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Raagi Rotti


Hallelujah!! 

Finally, finally, finally I mastered the trick of getting perfect rottis. I like my rottis crunchy and soft at the same time. They never came out that way. So as usual, anytime I see some new technique online, I would try.. try.. try. But my search has ended with this particular recipe on Udupi recipes website(link given below). Do check it out, it has some great Udupi recipes I refer to on and off. 

My ragi rottis were so hard and chewy before. With this method they were crunchy when hot and soft after cooling down. The trick is - use soaked avalakki(poha)! I had seen in some places people put cooked rice in the dough, probably for the same reason. Poha is so much better and easier. I have followed the recipe for most part but for few things here and there. Do try! 

Enjoy hot rottis with some butter and chutney. 



Ingredients

Ragi flour - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1/4 cup(optional) - gives it a crunch
Poha/ avalakki - 1/4 cup
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Onion - 1 medium finely chopped
Ginger - finely grated - optional
Green chili paste - 1 tsp - according to taste 
Curry leaves and cilantro - finely chopped
Dill leaves - finely chopped
Salt 

Method 

Soak poha in water until it is mash-able - typically 10 - 20 min.  
Add everything else in a mixing bowl. Add mashed - soaked poha. Mix nicely until poha is nicely incorporated in the flour. Add hot water and mix it till it comes together to dough consistency. 

Take parchment paper/ butter paper. Smear some oil. Spread the dough to a thin rotti. Roast on tava on both sides. Serve with butter and chutney. 



Notes - 
  • I don’t know why, but green chili paste gives more flavor to rotti than just chopped green chili. 
  • Veena Gireesha’s tip - add very little tamarind extract for better flavor



No comments:

Post a Comment