Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Beetroot Pulav



My cousin Archana is an avid follower of the blog “Monsoon Spice”. If I have to try anything from that blog, I simply ask her if she has tried it before, and she’ll give me all details as to what she tried, how it was, what she did differently.. etc :)
So recently when I asked her if she tried anything new, she told me about this Beetroot Pulav from the same blog, and said it came out good. 

So I also tried.. Beetroot gives this bath mild sweetness and nice pink hue(or red hue depending upon the quantity of beetroot you put).  I really loved it.




This is a very good item to take to potlucks and a good option for your lunch box.  It tastes even better the next day.

Do make it and impress your family and friends!


Ingredients

Basmathi Rice - 2 cups
1 large beetroot - peeled and cubed into small pieces. 
Beet greens/Spinach/Methi leaves - I skipped these as I didn’t have any
Onion - 1 large 
Ginger Garlic paste 1-1/2 tsp - I roughly chopped ginger(small piece) and garlic(3-4) instead
Green Chillies - 1-2 slit into two. This is for medium spicy. You might want to add more to compensate for the sweetness imparted by the beets.
Coconut Milk(or full fat milk) - 2 cups - I just ground a handful of shredded coconut in the mixie and put water for the remaining part. Proportions of rice to water - 1 Rice:1 and quarter to 1 and half water. Adjust accordingly after adding ground coconut(coconut milk).

Oil/Ghee - 2 tbsp - preferably ghee 
Salt

For Pulav Masala*
(*I was feeling lazy to make this, so I put whole spices instead. But I intend to make this powder and keep it handy for my future use)

Jeera - 1 tsp
Saunf - 1 tsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Dhania/Coriander Seeds - 1 tbsp (I used 1 tsp of Dhania Powder instead) 
Cinnamon Stick - 1 and 1/2 inch
Cloves - 4
Cardamom - 4
Red Chillies - 1-2

Method

For the Pulav Masala*
(* didn’t make this. Refer above. These notes are form the original blog)
On a medium flame dry roast Cinnamon, cloves, cardamom. After a minute add cumin, fennel and coriander seeds and continue to roast them for another minute. Turn off the stove and add bay leaf and let it cool completely. Grind to a fine  powder.
This can be stored in an air tight container for up to 3 months.

For the Beetroot Rice
Wash and soak Basmathi Rice for 1/2 hour(optional)
Heat oil/ghee in a pressure cooker. Add onion, saute for a while, add ginger-garlic paste. Saute. Add pulav Masala(I started by adding whole spices in the beginning to the oil/ghee and then added onion). 
Add soaked rice. Add beetroot and beetroot greens. Add salt. Add coconut milk and water. Mix well. 
Pressure cook for 2 whistles and it’s done!

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment