Saturday, December 15, 2012

Chole


There is really nothing I can write about Chole. It needs no introduction. Everybody makes it. Everybody likes it. 

Initially I used to make it with chole masala, but one of my cousins told me that garam masala works just fine. Since then I’ve been using only garam masala. Actually chole masala gives it some tartness, which I personally don’t like, so I prefer garam maslala.

This is one of my easy-to-make, delicious, can’t-go-wrong, feed-a-crowd type of dish. 






Ingredients

Chickpeas - soaked overnight - you can sprout it too
Onion - 1 big - take 1/4 from this for grinding
Tomato - 1
Tomato paste - 2 tsp
Garam masala - (approx) 3/4 tsp

To grind

Onion - 1/4 
Tomato - 1
Green chilli - 3-4
Ginger - a big piece
Garlic - 4-5 pods
Cooked chickpeas - handful
saunf - 1/4 tsp - optional

For garnishing

Onion - 1/2 small - chopped
Cilantro - chopped

Method

Pressure cook chickpeas with water, little salt, bay leaf and turmeric with sufficient water. Make a fine paste from the ‘to-grind’ list adding little water if necessary. 

Heat oil in a pan. Add turmeric, chopped onion and fry till translucent. Then add chopped tomatoes and saute till it becomes soft. Add tomato paste and ground mixture. Cook till the oil separates. Add cooked chickpeas. Adjust the water. If you are serving it later, then make it little more watery as the gravy tends to thicken after some time.

Serve with chapathi/ poori/ fried rice

Recipe Source - Chetana, Radhika


No comments:

Post a Comment