Saturday, July 23, 2016

Set Dose/Set Dosa

All these days I was using my regular dosa batter, pour it thick, and make set dose. It would come out good, but it didn’t have that restaurant taste. Then I came across this interesting recipe with different proportion of urad dal and rice. The dosa came out very soft, fluffy and airy. The taste was also very close to the restaurant ones.   


The only catch is (as the blogger points out), dosa batter becomes thin as it ferments. Then you’ll need to adjust by adding rice flour. Hence the batter should be ground thick. 

Enjoy set dose with some veg kurma(my next post) and chutney!



Ingredients

Raw rice - 2 cups(I generally add 1 1/2 cup of idly rice and 1/2 cup of sona masoori)
Urad dal - 1/4 cup
Poha/Avalakki - 1/2 cup
Sabudana/Sabbakki -  1 tbsp
Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Yogurt - 1/2 cup(I liked the taste better without curd)
Baking soda - a generous pinch(1/2 tsp)
Sugar - 1/4 tsp

Method
Put urad dal, rice, methi and sabudana all together in a bowl. Wash and soak them in enough water. In a separate bowl take poha and soak it in fresh curd. I generally soak poha along with the other stuff. My mom also soaks it separately. Don’t know the reason. I also skipped the curd. 
Grind to a thick batter. Ferment overnight. Don’t over ferment as set dose is generally sweeter than regular dose. I keep it overnight in the oven without light.  

Before making dose, add salt, sugar and baking soda. Mix well and pour on a hot tava into medium sized thick circle. Cook in medium flame and on both sides.

Serve with veg kurma or potato sagu and chutney. 






No comments:

Post a Comment