Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Caramel Pear Upside Down Cake


Again, I got a whole bunch of pears from Costco, and they started to brown really quickly. Next time if I have to buy pears, I will not buy from there. 

I was in a dilemma as to how to finish them off. I didn’t want to make pear crisp again. I remembered about this pear upside cake that I had bookmarked sometime back. But it was with egg. So I searched for eggless recipe and found this. But this was not exactly a caramel based upside down cake. So I thought I’ll make the caramel part from the first link and make the eggless batter from the second link. 

This batter does not use butter and so is healthy in a way. The cake came out moist and tasty. 




Ingredients 

Pear - 2
Caramel made from 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/8 cup of water - Check here to see how to make caramel. 

for the cake

1 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup Oats
1/2 Sugar
3/4 cup Yoghurt - I used buttermilk
3/4 cup Oil
1/4 cup boiling water
3/4 tsp Baking soda
3/4 tsp Baking powder
1 tbsp vinegar (recipe asks for Apple cider vinegar, but I added rice vinegar)

Method

Peel the pears, take out the seeds and cut them lengthwise. Take a 9 inch cake pan and  grease it with butter. Arrange the pears in a circular fashion. Make caramel and pour it on top of this evenly. 



Preheat the oven @350F while you prepare the batter. 

Now beat the yoghurt and add all the liquids mentioned above. Whisk it. Add baking powder to this. (Actually I added baking powder with the dry ingredients accidentally. It didn’t matter much as I mixed everything quickly and baked them)

Mix all the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to this slowly and mix properly. 


Then, pour this batter on the pear evenly. 

Put the mixture in the oven and bake for 40-50 min or until a tooth pick comes out clean after inserting it in the middle of the cake. 



Take it out and let it cool. Now turn this cake over on a serving plate and tap the cake pan gently so that the cake comes out clean. 



Serve hot with ice-cream or as is. 





Recipe Source - 



No comments:

Post a Comment