Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mente Soppina Bath/Methi leaves Bath




Growing up, lunch time at schools/colleges was so much fun. I remember the ones especially from college days where all us friends would sit together and have a nice chat while tasting food from everyone’s lunch boxes. We would open our lunch box and pass it around to friends to taste first, before eating it ourselves. I particularly remember this super delicious mente bath that my friend Roopa used to bring for lunch. I loved it so much that I'd gladly accept another helping and relish every bite of it.

Time flies... and I am glad and thankful that I am in touch with my college friends.

Roopa gave me this recipe. It is a pretty simple recipe if you have vangibath powder handy. Mente soppu(Methi leaves) gives this bath a very distinctive, bitter taste. Sweetness from jaggery compliments the bitterness from soppu. You can add batani(peas) or any other kaaLu, but I think avarekaaLu(Surti Lilva) goes well with this bath. 




Ingredients(approx) - 

Rice - 2 cups

mente soppu/methi leaves - a lot (4)
bella/jaggery - little
hunase hannu/tamarind paste - 3/4 tsp
Vangibath powder - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Kobri/desiccated coconut

Method - 

Cook rice
Make kadlebele(chana dal) tadka(sasive/mustard, hing, kadlebele, curry leaf, red chili, turmeric)
Add finely chopped mente soppu and fry for some time
Add cooked avarekaaLu/surti lilva(optional)
Add bella, hunase hannu, vangibath powder and fry till oil separates
Add salt and red chili powder(optional - only if you like it more spicy)
Add kobri
Mix rice

Recipe Source - Roopa Sudheer

No comments:

Post a Comment