Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Idiyappam


Idiyappam - is basically rice flour noodles from Kerala, a variation of our very own ottu shaavige(Karnataka). Traditionally ottu shaavige is made in “shaavige oralu”. Making ottu shavige is time consuming and frankly speaking very cumbersome. I only love eating part of it. 
Idiyappam on the other hand is mini version and can be pressed in Chakli press. I don’t know if traditionally it is made this way. May be it was similar to ottu shaavige before but over the years became mini.. no idea.  But anyways the recipes I saw online seemed very doable compared to ottu shavige.

I made 2 batches. First one clicked, second one flopped. I was nervous before making the first batch and prayed to God. While making second batch I was confident and hence didn’t pray. I think that was the major reason for failure :). In this particular recipe, you mix rice flour with hot water. In other recipes I’ve seen online, you cook rice flour in boiling water till it comes together as a dough. That can make a difference in the texture too. 
I’ve also listed other reasons I think might’ve caused the problem, below in notes. Do try!

Happy Makara Sankranti! Happy New Year!!







Ingredients(enough for 35 idiyappams)
Rice flour(Idiyappam flour) - 2 cups
Water - more or less 2 and 1/2 cups
Salt
Oil

Method
Heat water in a pot.
In a mixing bowl, add rice flour, salt and some oil. Add hot water little by little till everything comes to dough consistency. Use a spatula to mix. After it comes to dough consistency, add a tsp of oil and knead the dough till it comes together as a smooth dough. You don’t need to knead too much(need to knead, get it :D). Make sure dough is tough and not soggy. 



In the second batch I added water directly and not little by little, I don’t know if that contributed to the difference in dough texture. 

Grease idli plates with oil. While the dough is still warm, put it in a chakli press with small sev holes(see notes). Press idiyappam into idli moulds. 



Steam for 10 min. 

Serve with chutney/Pineapple mudduli(curry)/ Kaayi haalu(sweet coconut milk). In Kerala it is served with stew(I think). 

Recipe Source - “https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i83Kc4zXtOI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3519odNAO-x1WWXBQMJ1hFnXvO4hbAxPy72j_3qhbX-zxZdxowz22p3ik”

Notes
  • Use small sev holes in chakli press - It tastes better when noodles are thin.
  • Possible reasons for failure of the second batch - somewhat dryish dough leading to dry noodles -
  • I added water directly instead of adding little by little while making the dough. Dough looked softer than the first batch. I added more rice flour, but that didn’t help much.  
  • I did not use the dough immediately but waited another 15-20 min before pressing. 
  • I might’ve over steamed 
  • I didn’t grease idli plates every batch. The ones sticking from the previous batch on the plate became dry(like crumbly dry) next batch


No comments:

Post a Comment