Monday, April 28, 2014

Andhra Style Brinjal Peanut Curry


I am not fond of brinjals! The ones that are available here in US, kinda have a thick, chewy skin which makes it even the more difficult for me to like them. Sometimes I like the smoked ones.. but that’s about it..  
But I like almost all the curries that is made for brinjals. That’s why I always bring brinjal every time I go for a grocery trip; and I always lookout for new ways of using it (as though I like it!).. 
I think to compensate for the blandness of brinjal, various cuisines have incorporated a very masala-dhaar curry to go with it. This one is no exception.. the curry is awesome! 

I’m a big fan of Andhra Cuisine.. My body literally cannot tolerate the heat of Andhra food, but I still love to have them all the time! But of course, when cooking at home, I reduce the spiciness to suit my capacity.. 

Since there is peanut in the curry, this curry has a strong North Karnataka flavor. It tastes more like ennegayi, but has no extra work that goes for the stuffing of ennegayi. 



Do try!



Ingredients

Brinjals 
Onion - 1 big
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Garlic - 4 cloves
Red chili powder - 1 tsp 
Corinder powder - 1 tsp
Roasted peanut powder - 3 tsp (Roast some handful peanuts and some 2-3 garlic pods and dry-grind them to powder consistency)
Turmeric 

for the tadka

mustard seeds, urad dal
curry leaf

Method

Cut brinjal into long pieces and soak them in water
Make tadka in a pot.
Add garlic and then onions. When the onions are translucent add tomatoes and cook till they are mushy. Drain and add the cut-soaked brinjal. Saute well. Add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and simmer. Cover and cook till the brinjals are soft.
Add water and bring it to a boil. Add roasted peanut powder and bring it to a boil. 
Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with rice/roti. 






No comments:

Post a Comment