Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Nuggekayi soppu Palya/ Drumstick leaves sabzi


Continuing with my streak of healthy recipes, today I present to you nuggesoppu(drumstick leaves) palya-bassaru combo(sabzi-rasam combo) in two posts. I didn’t know that some leafy vegetables(spinach, dill etc) can be eaten in basaaru-palya combination until my friend Lalitha told me about it.. 

Last summer I had some knee issues and thankfully I got to know that drumstick leaves/nugge soppu is some wonder food which helps in this area. So I browsed for recipes and came to know that bassaru-palya is a popular way of consuming it. Taking the leaves out of stalks was little tedious, otherwise making saaru-palya was relatively easy. Tasted heavenly with rice! 
Link for bassaru(rasam) here.

Do try!  



Ingredients

Drumstick leaves/Nugge soppu 
Toor dal - 1/2 cup

For tadka
Jeera 
Curry leaves
Red chilies
Shallots - 9-10 (I used regular onion)

Method

In a pot cook toor dal with lots of water(on stove top - toor dal should hold it’s shape). When toor dal is half way done add drumstick leaves(see notes). After they are cooked - strain dal-leaf and save the water. Use this water for making bassaru(see notes). 

In a pan make tadka. Add oil, add jeera, red chilies, curry leaves. Once jeera sizzles add shallots(or onion) and sauté nicely. Keep part of this tadka aside for bassaru. To the remaining add strained dal-leaf mixture, salt, mix well. Sauté on low flame. 


Notes - 
  • I found the drumstick leaves to be little under cooked, so I would add dal and leaves together while cooking/ or I may pressure cook just the leaves for 1 whistle. 
  • This water can be consumed as it is, with some salt - health tip from oggarane dabbi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment