Friday, June 24, 2016

Yard Long Beans Curry

When it comes to vegetables, I often feel stuck using the same vegetables again and again in different dishes. There are so many choices in Indian stores these days, and I don’t know what to do with most of them. Like for example there are so many variety of greens, and I only use spinach and methi. And there are these other vegetables I haven’t ever seen in my life. Well, I speak as though I handled a lot of vegetables growing up.. I didn’t. I was one of those I-will-not-enter-the-kitchen types. Anyways, I digress. 

Yard long beans is one of those vegetables which I had no clue... I am not sure what it is called in kannada. It tastes close to alasande. But I’m really not sure. 

When I googled for recipes, I came across this interesting one. The taste came out very good. Very unique. Very simple to make. My daughter loved it too... What more can I ask!

It goes very well with chapathi. I make it as a side dish along with some rice bath; they go well together too. 

Do try!



Ingredients

Yard Long Beans - 1 bunch
Turmeric
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp(moderate)
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Salt
Cilantro for garnishing

To grind
Tomato - 1
Mint - handful
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic - 2-3

to temper
Oil
Cumin seeds

Method
Chop yard long beans into big pieces. Add salt and turmeric and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles. Grind ‘to grind’ ingredients. 
In a pot make tadka out of cumin seeds. Add ground paste. Add all the powders(turmeric, red chilli powder, cumin powder). Add salt. Let it boil in medium flame till the oil separates. Add the cooked beans. Mix and boil till beans incorporates well the masala. Garnish with cilantro. 



No comments:

Post a Comment