Sunday, April 20, 2014

Spinach Kichadi


Who says you need an awful lot of time to cook delicious food? Not me :)

I for one, like easy dishes... And I want tasty, filling food too. I cannot eat salads or bland food just because they are supposed to be healthy. 

For a long time, I was under the impression that you need to put lot of effort to cook tasty food. But fortunately, I am proven wrong again and again and again :) I am coming across one after another easy, yet tasty, yet healthy dishes to make. 

This is one such recipe. The moment I laid my eyes on it, I knew it was made for me! 

Spinach Kichadi - the name itself has a healthy ring to it. 


It came out unbelievably tasty. 

This is a perfect one-pot healthy and filling rice-bath which is very simple as well as fancy to serve to your guests. 

Enjoy!




Ingredients

Rice - 1 cup(original recipe uses Basmathi, I used Sona masoori)
Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Spinach - 1 bunch
Onion - 1 
Tomato - 1
Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tsp (I used finely chopped ginger and garlic(2))
Curry leaves
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp(I used 1/2 tsp)
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt

Mixed vegetables - Carrots, peas (I didn’t use any) 
Ghee - 1 tblsp

for the tadka 

mustard
jeera
hing
oil - 1 tblsp

Method

Blanch the spinach leaves. Let it cool. Grind it to a paste. Wash and soak rice and dal.(I skipped this step because I didn’t use Basmathi)
Make tadka in a pressure cooker. Add curry leaves, ginger-garlic paste. Add onions and saute for couple of minutes. Add tomatoes. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Saute till tomatoes are mushy. Add chopped vegetables(if adding any). Add pureed spinach. Add dal-rice mixture. Add water(3 glasses if using basmathi rice, 4-5 glasses if using sona masoori). Cook for 3-4 whistles. In the end, add ghee and mix well. 

Toddler Verdict - My daughter was initially little skeptical looking at the green color, but she managed to eat it without complaining. yay!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying it out and giving a wonderful feedback .. Very true when you say even less time consuming ,healthy one pot meals tastes awesome too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Soumya for visiting! you have one wonderful blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried this recipe today . Added cooked brown lentils and peas , instead of toor dal . Came out good !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shilpa for trying it out an letting me know here :)

    ReplyDelete