Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Kosu Huli/Cabbage Sambar


I only like Kosu in palya, or Chinese dishes... but in a huli, not so much. I think Kosu doesn’t go well with the taste of sambar powder. But my husband LOOOVES it!! I thought he was one of a kind loving this huli, until my cousin Archana told me that she LOVES it too!! Now two people loving this huli is not a mere coincidence :) .. I got curious and found out that she had a different recipe. I tried it and it came out good. This huli, I liked. Believe me, if a kosu huli non-liker like me has liked this huli, then anybody can.

This huli has a strong cinnamon flavor, which I think reduces the pungency of cabbage. 





Ingredients

Cabbage - 1 small
Onion - 1 small
Tomato - 1 to 2

Garam masala (optional)
Cinnamon - 1 big piece

Other regular huli ingredients like, 
Huli pudi/Sambar powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Toor dal - 1/2 cup(approx), 
arishina(turmeric), hunase hannu/tamarind paste, curry leaf 

Method

Pressure cook toor dal, cabbage and cinnamon with less water, such that toor dal holds its shape and is not all mushy. 
Instead of using cinnamon stick, you can use cinnamon powder later. But I think, pressure cooking cinnamon along with cabbage will infuse cinnamon flavor better in every bite of the vegetable. 

Make tadka with mustard seeds, channa dal, curry leaf and hing
Add onion and fry till translucent
Add tomato and fry till it is cooked
Add tamarind paste
Add cooked cabbage and toor dal
Add huli/sambar powder
Adjust the water
Add garam masala

Serve hot with rice or Chapathi.

Recipe Source - Archana 


No comments:

Post a Comment