Sunday, November 13, 2016

Palak Paneer

I’ve tried palak panner many times from many websites, but nothing came close to the ones available in the restaurants. With my daughter’s growing taste buds, I wanted her to try out various Indian delicacies. This girl who wouldn’t even touch the tip of the spoon which touched palak paneer for its green color(it’s a different story that I still force-feed her a few teaspoons), started showing interest in various Indian curries, including palak paneer, in restaurants. That gave me an incentive to try out this dish at home again. 

Vahrevah is a trusted website for these kind of dishes. Any dish from this blog has never disappointed me. I like all the tips and tricks Vah-chef gives. His palak paneer was no exception, it turned out very good. 

The only drawback is, to make a small quantity(a little over what is seen in the pic below), I used the whole box of spinach from Costco. So this is not exactly something you should consider when cooking for a crowd. 

Do try!



Ingredients

Palak(Spinach) - 1 big box from Costco
Paneer cubes
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Tomato - 2 to 3 finely chopped
Green chilli - 2-3 finely chopped
Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Extra garlic - 3-4 pods(optional)
a pinch of Nutmeg(I didn’t add this)

Cream - 1 tbsp(optional)

powders
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp(mild)
Turmeric
Kasoori methi - 1 tbsp

for tadka
Cinnamon - 2 inch peice
Cloves - 4-5
Cardamom - 3-4
Jeera - 1 tsp 

Method

Blanch spinach - Boil some water in a pot. Add spinach. Don’t cover it. Let it boil till the spinach wilts(around 2min). Take out the spinach from water. Save this water(See notes). Let it cool a little bit. Grind to a smooth paste.   

In a pot add oil. Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom. Add jeera. After it sizzles, add onion. Sauté till onion is really transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric. Add tomatoes. Sauté till tomatoes become completely mushy. Add all the powders - cumin, coriander powder, red chilli powder, crushed kasoori methi. Add finely chopped green chillies(see notes below). Add spinach puree. Boil till oil oozes out. Add panner cubes(you can roast it in a pan before adding, but it’s not necessary. I did that). Boil for couple more minutes till paneer is nicely incorporated in the gravy. Add cream now if adding any. Bring it to a boil and switch off the flame. 
Serve with naan/roti/chapathi/poori/some fried rice. 



Notes -
  • Instead of ginger-garlic paste, I used finely chopped ginger-garlic. 
  • I use very little water to blanch spinach and I use this water while grinding. And I use it later to add to the gravy. 
  • Tomatoes shouldn’t be chunky. Make sure it completely comes together to a paste while cooking. Or add tomato paste.
  • I added green chillies while blanching and then ground both together to a smooth paste. 





No comments:

Post a Comment