Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Majjige huli(Curd based South Indian Curry)



I cannot believe I have no new recipe lined up to post this month... this has never happened before! You see, I make it a point to put at least 2 recipes every month. I always am prepared knowing what I would be posting next... but not this month! 

I had to dig through old photos to see if I had any old pics that I might’ve missed. Thankfully, I found Majjige Huli ... I had not put this one up before because I was not too happy with the picture. I was waiting for my husband to retake a good one (btw, this is a good opportunity to tell everybody that my husband takes all the pictures for me:) )... 
But then every time I made it, I went into “should I post this or not” discussion in my head, and never came to a decision... Story of my life!!

Now since I have nothing on hand, I decided to put this one up any way... 

Majjige huli is my all time favorite. My mom didn’t know how to make this. I always craved for this and I would never ever miss a chance to devour it at weddings and other functions. 
After I started cooking, however, I learnt this from my cousin Kshama and have been making it regularly ever since. 

The recipe is easy peasy. You just need to get the consistency of the gravy right.. My suggestion would be to make thicker version first and then add water to thin it down as much as needed. 



Ingredients

Vegetable of your choice -  
Mangalore Soutekayi(dosakai), gumbalakayi(white pumpkin, wintermelon), seemebadnekayi(chayote), Sorekayi(Bottle gourd), Paduvalkayi(Snake Gourd), spinach... etc

to grind
Coconut - approximately 1/2 a cup
Jeera - 1 tsp
Green Chilli - 3(spicier the better)
Rice Flour - 1-2 tsp
Curd - 1 scoop
Cilantro(optional)

for the tadka
oil - coconut oil preferable
mustard seeds
jeera
urad dal
channa dal
methi seeds - a big pinch
curry leaf
red chilli - 1 broken
hing

Cilantro for garnishing.

Method

Grind ‘to grind’ ingredients. Generally beaten curd is added in the end just before turning off the stove, but I prefer to grind it in, this way it doesn’t curdle in the curry. 

In a pot, add just enough water to cook the vegetable, add vegetable and salt. Close the lid and cook. Let it cook al dente. Reduce the heat and add the the ground ingredients. Let it boil. The mixture will thicken. Adjust the water. Note that the gravy also thickens once it cools down. Turn off the stove. Garnish with cilantro.

Make tadka  with the tadka ingredients. 

Add it to the majjige huli.

Serve hot with some hot rice and papad... yum yum.. 

Recipe Source - Kshama Navada

Notes
  • You can make it with just the coconut and skip the Rice Flour. It tastes better with just the coconut. 
  • Grinding cilantro with the mixture gives a nice green hue and a subtle taste variation.
  • You can add garbanzo beans/rajma/peas and make this is a wholesome curry.
  •  Don't skimp on the oggarane(tadka). Oggarane is what gives this it's taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment