Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Dal Bukhara - Urad dal curry


Coming from South India, I'm alien to black urad dal... we hardly use any black urad dal in our regular cooking... the few places that we use them(that too de-skinned urad dal), is in making tadka, then the regular idli, dosa and stuff. 

In fact, I was really surprised when I first found out about its usage in curries!! I would've never guessed in a million years that out of all the dals, urad dal is the one used in my favorite dal makhni!! This after devouring dal makhni every time I went to North Indian restaurants back in India... such was my dispassion towards cooking :) *Sigh* how I've changed!!





The taste of black urad dal is such that, if you don’t get the masala right, then the taste of the urad dal becomes very overpowering. This is one of the few recipes of black urad dal that I’ve tried and liked.. the curry comes out very creamy despite the lack of any added cream.

Do try!




Ingredients

Black Urad dal - 1 cup
Onion - 1
Tomatoes - 4
Tomato paste - 2 tbsp(I used 6 tomatoes overall instead of this)
Green chilli - according to taste( I added a mix of green chillies(2) and adjusted the spiciness later with red chilli powder)
Ginger - lots (recipe asks for 2 inch) 
Garlic - 2-3
Cumin - 1 tsp
Bay Leaf - 1
Turmeric
Hing - generous pinch

Cumin-Coriander powder 1 tsp
Kasuri methi - 1 tsp
Jaggery/Brown Sugar/ regular sugar - 1-2 tsp(according to taste)

finely chopped onions and cilantro for garnishing(I skipped onions)

Method

Wash the black urad dal thoroughly and soak them overnight. Pressure cook with bay leaf and lots of water. Let it whistle a little longer than you cook for regular dal.. After done, mash it nicely with the back of a ladle or a potato masher.

Make tadka using butter, cumin and hing. Add onions and chillies. Add finely chopped ginger-garlic. Add chopped tomatoes. Add salt and water and let it cook till it comes to a sauce consistency. Add tomato paste, turmeric, jaggery, cumin, coriander powder. Close the lid and let it simmer until it comes to a gravy consistency. Add the cooked lentils.. add let it simmer for another 10 min.. just before turning off, add kasuri methi and stir. 
Garnish with finely chopped onions and cilantro.

Serve hot with some fried rice/chapathi/paratha.

No comments:

Post a Comment