Sunday, September 29, 2013

Simple Biriyani


For me planning a menu is more difficult than executing it. I’m sure this is true for many. Initially, when I was new to this “inviting guests over for dinner” thing, I would try to make everything special, right from appetizers, chapathis, curries to rice baths, sweets, and then rasam rice and what not. I would make so much and so many of them(fearing that it might not be enough) that hubby and I always ended up eating leftovers for days on end!
Now I’m experienced :) I tend to make just enough dishes in just enough quantities. Also, I try to keep it simple so that the guests are not overwhelmed and then eat only little bit of every dish in an attempt to taste everything. Nowadays, if I have an appetizer, I keep a simple main course. If I have an elaborate menu, I skip appetizer. I’ve also noticed over the years that, whenever I prepare two main courses(rice bath and chapathi), only one tends to get over, and again we get stuck with the left overs!.. So, in the process of cutting down on the leftovers and trying to keep the menu simple, I started making chapathi, two curies and then a simple rice bath which would go with the already prepared curry. This ‘Simple Biriyani’ fits perfectly in this scheme. 

Every time I prepare it, I marvel at its simplicity, and am amazed by its divine taste. I think I’ve fed it to almost every other guest who has come to our house!

This bath tastes exotic. Aromatic basmathi rice, cooked with Indian spices fills the air in the kitchen with a nice fragrance... and did I already mention that it's super duper easy to make! and it can hardly go wrong, even in my hands :) 
win-win-win-win situation :) 
Oh! I almost forgot, it doesn’t use any garlic or onion btw. 




Ingredients

Basmati Rice -  1 cup
water - 1 1/2 cup

Mixed Vegetables - Carrot, Peas, Beans (I use mix veg bag)
jeera, saunf - optional
Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
Cardamom - 5

Green chilli - 4
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp (or according to taste)
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp

Ghee and Oil - 1 to 2 tsp each

Method

Soak Basmati rice in water for half an hour(not really necessary, but the rice cooks well this way). If you are short of time just skip this step .
In a pressure pan, add oil and ghee. Add jeera and saunf. After it starts to splutter, add cinnamon and cardamom. Then add green chilli, vegetables and little salt. Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder. Add rice. Saute till the rice is warm. Add water. Adjust the salt. Close the lid and let it whistle 3 times. Serve hot with raita or dal or any other curry.  




Toddler Verdict - My toddler doesn't love this.. but she doesn't mind eating this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment