Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ade Dose/Adai


Ade Dose is a highly nutritious, protein rich dose. It has four kinds of dals in it. It is also a very good way of giving protein to your child. A great dish for their lunch box too.
This dose/dosa is very familiar in Bangalore, but unheard of in Kota region. So even though I grew up in Bangalore, I never heard about this dose until I came to US.

My cousin Chethana and a friend of mine had given this recipe to me long back. But somehow when I tried it, I found the taste of dals very overpowering and never really bothered to try it again. After I had my daughter, I was on a lookout for new ways of feeding her dal. I tried this dosa again, but she didn’t like it much either. So, I had basically given up on this dosa until my friend Prathibha served this to me at her house. The taste of it simply blew me away!! It was mind blowing-ly delicious! More importantly, my daughter liked it and asked for more! I asked Prathibha for the proportions, and to my surprise it was the same I had tried before. Then she gave me a secret - that the batter should be very coarse! 


I took her advice and voila! I too started making yummy dosa!! Coarse batter makes the dosa very crunchy. Crunchiness subdues the taste of the dal. 

You can add spices to this batter and eat it without any accompaniments. But it is not necessary. You can skip spices and eat it with chutney or chutney powder. My daughter likes to eat it with sugar. 
For her lunch box, I spread some ghee and then sprinkle some sugar and then roll it like a burritto. 






This is a great, healthy, nutritional lunch box recipe. 





Ingredients

Urad Dal:Moong Dal:Toor Dal:Chana Dal(Split):Rice :: 1:1:1:1:2
Green chillies + Red chillies - according to taste - I add 2 each

Masala(optional) - mix and match - Ginger, cilantro, Black pepper(this gives it a nice exotic taste), onion.

Method

Soak all the dals and rice together for 3-4 hours or more.
Grind everything coarsely with green chillies and red chillies.

No need to ferment this batter. Spread the batter on the hot tava, cook on both sides and enjoy!!




Recipe Source - Prathibha Narendar





No comments:

Post a Comment