Sunday, November 30, 2014

Black Eyed Beans Vada



I don't know about you, but for me, deciding on what to cook is a nightmare!

My bookmark folder has grown so big that it needs another bookmark folder to sort it out. It's growing like Hanumanthana baala... it's becoming so taxing just going over the list. 

Whenever I find anything interesting I bookmark and then basically forget about it. Not only that, I also buy cook books whenever I come across anything interesting. Between these two humongous lists, I often get lost and sometimes get a head ache looking for something interesting to cook. Oh, the tragedy! 

When I saw this vada on my friend’s FB page, my memory was refreshed about this recipe that I had bookmarked long time ago. And so it got bumped up to the top on my todo list. So the next time when I got an opportunity to make an appetizer for a potluck, instead of going over and over again on my lengthy list, I instantly decided on this ..



This vada is very much similar to Ambode(masala vada), except that, instead of using chana dal, it uses black eyed beans. Black eyed beans gives this a slightly soft texture compared to chana dal.


Do try!


Ingredients

Black eyed beans - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1/4 cup
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Salt
Oil for frying

for the masala
dry run in the mixie the following(or finely chop) - 
green chillies - 5-6 medium spicy
ginger
curry leaves 
cilantro 
mint/dill leaves - optional


Method

Soak back eyed beans overnight or for 6-8 hrs.
Grind coarsely without adding any water.  
Add finely chopped onions and the remaining finely chopped masala. Add rice flour, salt and mix well.

Heat oil in a kadai. When it is heating, make small balls out of the dough and keep them aside. When the oil is ready, slightly wet your hands and pat the balls flat in between your hands and put them in the oil carefully. 

Fry till golden brown on both sides.


Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment