Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Turnip Curry


I always cribbed about my inability to make North Indian curries just like North Indians do. Whenever I made any North Indian dish, it tasted more like a mix of North and South Indian cuisine. But that changed with this curry :)

I have to confess, I’d never seen turnip before in my life. My cousin introduced me to this vegetable. She had made palya with it. I was googling for newer ways of using it, when I found this one interesting recipe.

For some reason, instead of using methi seeds, I used saunf in the curry. And there it was, a pukka(this word is actually in English dictionary!) North Indian curry.. I had achieved it! The secret unraveled itself in front of me.... 

“We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents” - Bob Ross :)



Ingredients

Turnips - 4
Tomatoes - 4 pureed (I used tomato paste - 2 tsp) 
Onion - 1

to grind

ginger
garlic
cilantro
dried red chillies
cardamom
cinnamon
cloves
cumin
fenugreek(I added 1 tsp fennel seeds instead)
turmeric
coconut and salt.

Method 

Cut turnip into cubes. Fry it in a pan till it is done(it should hold its shape). Keep it aside.


Grind “to grind” ingredients and keep it aside.
Add some oil in a pan and fry onion till it’s translucent. Add tomato, fry for some time. Then add the ground paste. Adjust the water if necessary. 



Add turnips. Cook them covered for 10 mins. Serve hot with rice or chapathi. 


PS - Turnips, just like potatoes, absorbs water content in the curry. 



No comments:

Post a Comment